31 May 2019

Rocketman: Film Review


After patiently waiting for well over a year since they first announced it, I finally got to see Rocketman last week and it did not disappoint. It's no secret that I am a huge fan of anything Taron Egerton does but I really think this could be the one that gets him the recognition he deserves. If he's not nominated for an Oscar next year it will be a travesty and I am fully prepared to lead the campaign for this film to win all the awards.

I went into this film with absolutely no knowledge of Elton John whatsoever. Obviously I've heard a few of his songs and I love the ones that I do know of, but when it comes to Elton himself and his life, I had no clue about any of it. Until I saw this film...

Rocketman tells the story of Reginald Dwight and how he became the iconic star who is better known as Elton John. Through the power of Elton's classic hits, key moments in his life and career are potrayed including his time at the Royal Academy of Music, signing a record deal with his best friend, Bernie Taupin, and performing a sold out show at the Dodgers Stadium in front of over 100,000 people. The audience is also given an insight into some of Elton's darkest times such as his difficult relationships with his parents and manager, John Reid, and his battle with alcohol and drug use which led to a stay in rehab.

Directed by Dexter Fletcher and starring a brilliant supporting cast (Jamie Bell, Richard Madden, Bryce Dallas Howard), it was always going to do well. Taron's performance throughout is incredible and you can tell that he really threw himself into the role. Aside from transforming physically (there are times in the film when you think it genuinely is Elton John) he sings all of the songs and pulls off an unbelievable performance. I also loved Jamie Bell's character (Bernie Taupin) and the portrayal of his and Elton’s friendship. It seems like everyone needs a Bernie in their life and their duet of Yellow Brick Road is so poignant, I was definitely tearing up.

Another particular number that stood out for me is the carnival scene in which we see a young Elton (played by Kit Connor) change into the older version, played by Taron Egerton. The song used in this scene is Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) and I'm not exaggerating when I say I've listened to it at least 10 times a day since I first saw it. The soundtrack is amazing and my favourite songs are Bennie and the Jets, Honky Cat (duet with Richard Madden) and of course, I'm Still Standing, which is the perfect ending to the film.

There are scenes that pull on the heartstrings and there are scenes that make you want to jump out of your seat, put on a flambuoyant feathered costume and dance around the room. It's a rollercoaster of emotions, perfectly mirroring the crazy life and persona of Sir Elton John.

2 comments

  1. Oh I really NEED to see this movie for the cast and the cinematography of the film. Your feeling with the movie was the same I had with Bohemian Rhapsody. I didn't know a lot about Queen and Freddie Mercury but it was not a problem at all and I enjoyed so much the movie, I know it'll be the same with Rocket Man ! x

    theblondmane.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely watch it if you get the chance! I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD so I can watch it over and over again haha x

      Delete

© Charlotte Louise. Design by FCD.